Monday, August 1, 2011

Music Review: Barry, "Yawnin' in the Dawnin'"

Hello again, folks. As I'm sure all of you know by now, I'm a huge music fan, especially music from unique, smaller bands. Today I'll be reviewing a folk rock band, Barry, comprised of three brothers from New York. Ben Barry is an English teacher (my future career), Pat and Ben are both former Marines, and Bradford is in school, but together they are following their musical dream. Major respect there. So, are you ready to rock and roll (or rock and folk, I don't know)? Good, let's get started.

Song by Song Review
Their EP starts out with the short song "Yawnin' in the Dawnin'", and at first I was skeptical. And then the foot stomping kicked in and I found myself tapping my feet along to the beat.
"For Your Own Good" starts out with a harmonica solo that is included throughout the song, and makes this rock song feel more bluesy. I love the voice of the singer (although I'm not completely sure which one is singing the most), and the harmonies with all three of them add to the folksy feel of their music. Easily my favorite off of the EP, this song skillfully balances folk and rock.
"Carnival(e)" has a darker feel with the fantastical lyrics and soft, low voice of the singer. This is another great example of how Barry can combine the folk and rock genres into one song. Not to mention the soft pounding of the bass drum makes this song very catchy.
"Three Years in Carolina" also features the excellent vocal harmonies of the brothers. The lyrics to this song feel very country and folksy, but the beat adds to the rock aspect of the band. As the song comes closer to the end, all we hear is the guitar and the singer, and that is truly a beautiful moment, and then it picks back up again (as all good songs do).
"Drink One More" comes up next, and it starts a little slow. I really like how the brothers switch off with the singing, and then harmonize in the choruses; it makes their songs much more interesting to listen to. The almost church choir-like harmonizing of their voices closer to the end of this song is haunting, I love it (I listened to it again after the song ended).
"Love Something Too Much" is another great example of the country-esque lyrics, but the folk rock feel makes the song less "hick-y" than if it were just another country song. One line from the song really got me, "She sang the saddest songs on the radio." The lyrics in this song are great, and I greatly admire when musicians write their own music, it adds to credibility and talent.
Last but not least, "Great Unknown" wraps up this EP. This song is one of those rock ballads that I could almost see being tied into a scene in a movie. I think this is another great song that epitomizes their balance of folk rock sound with emotional, almost country-style lyrics.


As I usually do with anything, Overall Grade of EP: B+
This was a great debut EP, and I can't wait to see what Barry has coming next. Their sound is unique and interesting, which makes them a great listen and I would (and will) suggest them to friends. They will appeal to many people because of how they combine rock music with country-style lyrics, which can be a hard thing to do. Overall, this was very good. My only problem is that sometimes it's hard to hear what they're saying over the loud music (specifically in "Great Unknown"), and their lyrics are truly great that deserve to be clearly heard. I can see Barry making it pretty big, and I really hope they do!

Here's more stuff about Barry for you music fans out there. A video, and a link to their website, and a message: PLEASE buy their music on iTunes. If you like this band (which I'm sure you do), please buy their music instead of downloading it elsewhere. They deserve the money and publicity for their music.
Check out Barry's website HERE!

"Carnival(e)"

Enjoy this dose of new music, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment