Thursday, June 2, 2011

I'm Obsessed With... Girl Crush Edition

Naturally, I have a "girl crush" on some celebrities. This is common, right? I can't be the only one (I assume...). Let's get to it.

Adele

How could anyone not love this stellar singer? Adele is a British songstress whose first album "19" made waves in the US when it came out 3 years ago. She first caught my eye with the haunting song "Chasing Pavements," and landed a spot performing on SNL (as this sentence suggests, I influenced her appearance on SNL).
Now, she has a new album out, "21." I am slowly but surely adding to my Adele collection, but right now I have the marvelous songs "Rolling in the Deep" and "Rumour Has It" (you should seriously check them out). Adele has one of the most beautiful and unique voices I've ever heard, and every song has a certain mood to it. Her songs are almost haunting, and will stay with you for awhile. I read her article in "Rolling Stone," and learned other things about her. Fun Facts About Adele (and things concerning her):
-She smokes around 7 cigarettes a day (this isn't fun, I just find it crazy that she has a stunning voice despite this)
-The songs on this album are mostly influenced by a boyfriend she had
-Said boyfriend is (supposedly) trying to sue her, because he wants half the royalties since he was "inspiration" for the album, despite the fact that he didn't do shit
-"roll deep" means to have someone's back (in British slang), hence where "Rolling in the Deep" came from

Fun! Here are my favorite lyrics from the two songs I have.
Rolling in the Deep: "The scars of your love remind me of us, they keep me thinking that we almost had it all. The scars of your love, they leave me breathless." (Packs a punch of emotion, huh? I love when singers write their own music, it adds more truth to the songs.)
Rumour Has It: "You made a fool out of me, and, boy, I'm bringing you down. You made my heart melt yet I'm cold to the core." (Boom. Intense. Side note: my dad didn't know she was singing "rumour has it" in the chorus, and thought she was saying "Uma." So, he took that and ran with it, and now sings the chorus as "Uma has it. Oprah wants it.")



Zooey Deschanel

First of all, I'm really impressed with myself for spelling her last name right (although I have no clue how to pronounce it correctly).
Second, this girl is awesome. I have a bigger girl crush on her than I do Adele. Zooey is so quirky and cute, as well as talented, and I will pretty much watch/listen to anything in which she is involved. That's dedication. My absolute favorite movie of her's is "(500) Days of Summer." (That movie is saved on my DVR and has been watched countless times.) I am the kind of person that hates predictable and/or happy endings, so I just adore this Indie, romantic dramedy. Zooey is also starring in a new movie and TV show (both of which I will discuss in later posts).
Onto her music! Did you know? Zooey Deschanel is in a quirky, indie band called She & Him. Whether or not you know this, I'm sure you're glad I shared this precious information with you. She & Him have released two albums, and while I currently don't have any of her songs on my iPod, I often watch their videos on the YouTube. Their sound is kind of hard to describe, but they're definitely alternative. Thier music sounds sunny and peppy, but the lyrics aren't always that way. Just listen, you may or may not love it. My favorite is "In The Sun" (the video is below).
Here is my favorite lyric from In The Sun: "We all get the slip sometimes every day, I'll just keep it to myself in the sun." (I'm not completely sure what this song is about, but I'm pretty sure it's about leaving a boyfriend. This line is pretty much saying that she's going to hide her feelings of regret and whatnot, although it should be rather obvious. Love it.)



That's all! Enjoy these new musical obsessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment