Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Movie Review: Bridesmaids

So today was my darling mother's birthday, and since I happened to have the day off (thank you, Graduation), we went to see Bridesmaids. It was a wonderful day, and a wonderful movie. Here was the poster to the movie:
So, from left to right, these were the actresses:
Melissa McCarthy, Wendi McLendon-Covey, Ellie Kemper, Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, and Rose Byrne.
Let me tell you something, these ladies were absolutely hilarious. I adore Wiig and Rudolph from Saturday Night Live, and their relationship in this movie was wonderful. It reminded me of the relationship me and my best friend, Laura Mora, have, and hopefully will have many years down the road (they're hilarious together, as are my friend and I).

Review time!
This movie was wonderful. Yesterday my dad told us that he heard a waitress saying that Bridesmaids was even funnier than The Hangover. And let me tell you something...she was right. I loved The Hangover, but Bridesmaids was hilarious. The friend-chemistry between Wiig and Rudolph in this movie is endearing and hilarious. You sympathize with Wiig's character because of how dull her life seems, but then she meets Chris O'Dowd's character (who is ultra charming and cute, you may or may not know him from the show The IT Crowd), and their relationship is great.
Naturally, chaos ensues as Wiig's character tries to compete with Helen (Byrne's character) for the friendship of Lillian (Rudolph), because Annie (Wiig) has been best friends with her since they were kids. Helen seems to upstage Annie in all aspects of the wedding, and one of the funniest scenes of this movie comes during the engagement party (at least, I think that's what it was).
One of the other funniest characters was Megan (McCarthy). She is the sister of Dougie, who is marrying Lillian. She is large and in charge, and she doesn't mess around. Some of the funniest scenes and lines of the movies come from her, because she speaks her mind and is rather hard headed. I couldn't tell you anything else McCarthy has been in, so I pleasantly surprised to see someone I don't recognize making me laugh so darn hard.

Final word:
You should definitely go see Bridesmaids. It is so hard to find movies that achieve the balance between side-splittingly hilarious and endearing, but Bridesmaids did this. You will fall in love with Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph all over again (as well director Paul Feig and producer Judd Apatow - thank you for bringing this movie to us!), and you might just laugh so hard you cry. I know the older ladies sitting next to me did. They were appalled at some parts, and made disapproving comments whenever John Hamm's character showed up again.
This movie has an 89% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, but in my opinion it deserves more. Easily 9 out 10 stars! Go see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment